Blogs

Collaborative Agreement

By Sharon Craft posted 11-06-2012 04:28 PM

This is the first time I have submitted a blog on this board. I am seeking information. I have always had my collaborative agreement with a psychiatrist. Today, I have learned in the state of Virginia that any physician can be my collaborative agreement that has experience with mental health. The state board does not specify our specialty. I was taken back because I was always under the impression that if you are a psych np you must be in agreement with a psychiatrist. Can anyone offer me some insight on this situation. Also, if you know any information on whether or not the doctor must live in the state where you practice to be your collaborating physician. Thanks

Sharon in Virginia

2 comments

Comments

11-17-2012 08:13 PM

Thanks Grace since I posted I have heard back from the Virginia Board of Nursing and it is a definite. We do not have to be in collaborative agreement with psychiatrist entirely. The physicians only have to have experience working with the mental health population. My preference will alway be a psychiatrist. Thanks for responding. Sharon

11-15-2012 03:58 PM

I am not familiar with the Virginia Nurse Practice Act but that is where I would check this out. I am from New York and it specifies a psychiatrist, what texts we need to be using as resources, and who wins any disagreement... I might consider posting this on the private practice member bridge sub group and they might have some helpful insights for you. Good luck.