My Profile

Mr. Greg Mercer, BA, MSN

Contact Details

Ribbons

Bio

Unusual path: I started out at Cornell in Engineering, got bored, transfered to Philosophy and Pre-Med with the best GPA of any student ever to leave the Engineering College at the time. Went to Harvard Medical School, left after 3 years as the sleep deprivation (36 hour days every 3d or 4th day) caused severe depression. Worked in a mental health group home for 3 years, Decided making money might be nice. Graduated from the MGH-IHP, got licenesd as Geri-Adult NP. While I was looking for work, got 'temporary' work at McLean Hospital to pay the bills, completely fell in love with the work on the dementia unit. Eventually worked on all seven inpatient units, including 3 years wiith Dementia service, 5 years in Psychotic Disorders and ECT. Now Per Diem at McLean, while I teach CPR and MALS (basically managing codes) for Nursing staff at McLean, and work as a Clinical Instructor at Regis College and Boston College.
Today, seeking more teaching work: as it's been well said, when you find work you love, you never have to work again! Also planning to seek further education soon to facilitate future work as a lecturer and researcher in Nursing, and devleoping my own curriculum (Golden Rule Care) aiming to replace CPI etc. for restraint reduction and to improve the quality of life and efficiency of Nurses of all specialties everywhere. Welcome!