My Profile

Dr. Barbara Limandri, PhD, PMHCNS-BC

Portland DBT Institute

Contact Details

Portland DBT Institute
Ribbons
Portland DBT Institute

Bio

I have been a psychiatric nurse since 1973. I teach in a small liberal art college, Linfield College, and work part time at Portland Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program with my therapy dog, Rossa, a red standard poodle. My other dog, Haydn, is a therapy project himself after 16 months of abuse before I adopted him. I highly value teaching psychiatric nursing from the perspective of a practicing nurse. This makes me a very busy person because teaching is a more than 40 hr/wk job and my clinical practice is supposed to be 10 hrs that stretches to 15 hours/wk at least. I enjoy working with folks with difficult problems in their lives and seeing them blossom and grow out of the mud of their existence. I work with folks with personality disorders, trauma, substance abuse, and family violence.
In my teaching capacity I am currently teaching in a baccalaureate program with many second degree students and RN-BSN students. Their enthusiasm, no BS attitudes are just right for me. They challenge me to think beyond the status quo, which I like to do and it creates more work to do. I live in Portland, Oregon where we have droughts in the summer and rain in the winter. I love the culture of the Pacific Northwest. There is nothing like it.

Expert Knowledge Area

Crisis/Trauma, Mood Disorders, Neurobiology, Personality Disorders, Psychopharmacology/Medication Management, Suicidology