My Profile

Jessica Cappucci, RN, MSN

Contact Details

Ribbons
Student Member
Bronze
Contributor

Bio

My background is in research. I was a research coordinator for 3 years and focused on neuronal circuits and mechanisms underlying perception and cognition. During this time I found my passion for psychiatric nursing and made a career change. As a psychiatric nurse my goal is to deliver compassionate trauma informed care to patients. My practice focuses on creating an environment of trust. Being an APNA BOD Scholar has fueled my passion for psychiatric mental health nursing. It is important for me to continue my education in order to improve my practice, and better serve patients. I am currently a student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst in the Doctor of Nursing Program with a focus in Psychiatric Nursing. 

The community I serve as a psychiatric nurse is inpatient population. My passion is for helping people in a psychiatric crisis through education, empowerment, mindfulness, and medication management. Often times mental illness goes untreated until a psychotic break, suicide attempt or other crisis occurs. I feel being an inpatient psychiatric nurse I have the opportunity to help support patients and their families at such a pivotal time.  Establishing trust, understanding, improving psychiatric outcomes is important for both my practice and the psychiatric field. The basis on my career in psychiatric nursing is to be involved in its advancement and growth. 

My experience in Nursing leadership is that I served as the nursing class president. Here I was responsible for overseeing the student officers, coordinating the class pinning, organizing fundraisers, and managing class wide activities. Our class was able to make the largest class gift donation due to our fundraising efforts.

As I advance through the Doctor of Nursing Practice Practice program my I found that I also really enjoy research and writing. Writing is a way to present our thoughts in a systematic manner. I enjoy creating a writing piece that is presenting information in the exact way I intend it to be, creating a clear meaning, and discerning research. Research of particular interest includes psychiatric nursing quality improvements, adverse childhood experiences, and inpatient hospital safety. Additionally my interest expands to "the psychiatry of nursing" including resilience, nursing empowerment, and making research meaningful. 

As I continue on my nursing journey I am not sure where it will take me but I am always looking to connect with like minded individuals along the way.   

HONORS & ACTIVITIES 

MGB Pillars of Excellence for Patient Care Experience 2021
AVADE workplace violence prevention instructor 2022
BLS instructor 2021
Suicide Prevention Training: The PMH Nurse Generalist Role 2019
American Psychiatric Nurse Association Board Of Directors Student Scholar 2019
President of the Nursing Class 2019
North Shore Community College Nursing Faculty Distinguished Student Award 2019
North Shore Community College Student Service Award 2019
Member of American Psychiatric Nurses Association
Member of North Shore Community College Nursing Advisory Committee
Mary D. Ring Caregiver’s Scholarship Recipient
Kindred Healthcare Scholarship Recipient
Flu Vaccine Clinic Volunteer
Single Neuron Studies of the Human Brain: Probing Cognition
Coordinated Toy Drive for Children’s Hospital
Organized the Single Neuron Studies of The Human Brain Conference in Baltimore, MD
LEGO (Leadership Education and Growth Opportunities) Club at Northeastern University

Expert Knowledge Areas

• Anxiety Disorders
  • Chronic Mental Illness
  • Crisis/Trauma
  • Mood Disorders
  • Personality Disorders
  • Psychotic Disorders
  • Substance Use Disorders