My Profile

Dr. Gabrielle Abelard, DNP, PMHNP, PMHCNS-BC, APRN, FNAP

Abelard Psychotherapy Inc and Elaine Marieb College of Nursing, University of Massachusetts

Contact Details

Abelard Psychotherapy Inc and Elaine Marieb College of Nursing, University of Massachusetts

Bio

"My focus is the whole person, mind, body, and spirit. I offer therapy, and medication management and I am an Educator at heart".

Dr. Gabrielle P Abelard has over 20 years of experience working in mental health. Specializing in treating disorders of behavior, thinking, and feeling, she provides a caring therapeutic environment for her clients to work through life's complexities. Gabrielle is Clinical Assistant Professor, Cognitive Behavioral Therapist, Consultant, and Doctorate prepared Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse whom works primarily with adults providing medication management and individual therapy. She holds a Masters and Bachelors Degree in Nursing from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Additionally, she holds a post Masters in Nursing Practice and Doctorate Degree in Integrative Health from Regis College in Weston, Ma. Gabrielle consults and provides trainings to hospitals, colleges, and organizations on a variety of topics including suicide awareness, team building, restraint reduction, mental health, telemental health, and cultural awareness.

Awards
  • MNA Manning Mentoring Award 2022
  • Nancy M Valentine Excellence in Leadership Award, American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA), New England Chapter, October 2020
  • Nominated for the APNA Psychiatric Nurse of the Year Award, April 2020
  • Nominated American Nurses Association, Excellence in Nursing Practice Award, January 2020
  • Featured as a notable scholar, The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, May 2019
  • Recognized as a notable black educator, The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, May 2019
  • Young Haitian Professional of the Year, US Haitian Chamber of Commerce, 2019
  • One of 6 panelists selected US wide, Psychiatric Expert Panelist for setting the standard of the National Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Exam, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), January 2011
  • Team Contributor Award of Excellence, presented by  the CNH President, Caritas Norwood Hospital (CNH), June 2008
  • Department of Mental Health Recognition Certificate for restraint reduction work, presented by the Commissioner for the Massachusetts Department of Mental Health, December 2007
  • Murphy Award for Staff Excellence, presented by MIT President,  MIT Institute Award, April 2005
  • Infinite Mile Award, two-time nominee, May 2004 and 2005
  • On the Spot Award recipient, recognized seven times, MIT SLP Award, 2001-2005
  • City of Boston, Multicultural Diversity Award, presented By Mayor Ray Flynn, May 1994

Expert Knowledge Areas

• Alternative Therapies
  • Eating Disorders
  • Education
  • Group Therapy
  • Integrated Physical & Mental Health Care
  • Leadership
  • Mood Disorders
  • Psychopharmacology/Medication Management
  • Psychotherapy
  • Psychotic Disorders